In a world of fads, obscenely expensive celebrity skin treatments, and a cultural obsession with having baby-soft skin, facial rollers stand out as the OG of skin care.
They’ve been around for (literally) centuries, and are as natural and wholesome and mindful as a skincare routine can get. I’ll just go ahead and say it--you’re a genius for ordering one! Go ahead and take a bow while your facial roller helps you:
- Decrease inflammation
- Increase blood flow to your face (fewer wrinkles and glowing skin)
- Help with lymphatic drainage (less puffiness, fewer toxins in your body, and better immunity)
- Decrease stress and help you create mindful rituals
- Help prep your skin to fully absorb your skin products
Obviously, you need to start using your new roller ASAP. Here’s everything you need to know:
Where Do I Store My New Facial Roller?
Lots of people love storing their rollers in the fridge, for an extra pick me up in the morning (also, we know that cold helps decrease puffiness). If your morning routine just doesn’t have room for an extra thirty-second facial massage, do it at night, and store your roller by your bed.
Just can’t be bothered while you’re standing up? Keep it on your nightstand, and roll in bed. I have zero judgement for this.
Here’s What Those Two Ends Are For
The small end is for around your eyes and down the sides of your nose. The larger end is for everywhere else.
As you spend more time learning about facial massage and get to know your face better (pay attention while you roll!), you’ll start to learn what feels the best and what makes the biggest impact on drainage, puffiness, and wrinkles. You’ll be a pro real soon.
- Start with a clean, dry face.
- Apply a serum, moisturizer, or facial mist. Most people like to start with a serum, roll, and then finish with a moisturizer. Whichever order you apply, the roller will help both the serum and the moisturizer absorb more fully into your skin. Don’t forget to apply your serum to your décolleté and neck; important lymph nodes live here and besides--we’re always forgetting this delicate part of our body.
- Start rolling. Keep your pressure light. This should feel good, not painful. Start with your chest and neck. Roll down to help move drainage and toxins out. Repeat multiple times.
- Roll across your right jawline from the center of your chin towards your right ear. Keep rolling across the right side of your face from the center, out. Repeat multiple times.
- Repeat step four on the left side of your face.
- Continue rolling for as little as thirty seconds are as much as five minutes, or until your serum or moisturizer is fully absorbed.
- Clean your roller with warm soap and water, and allow it to dry thoroughly. Don’t skip this step--the stones in your roller are porous and can absorb bacteria if you don’t wash them well.
How Do I Clean My Roller?
As long as you’re washing your roller carefully with soap and water, and allowing it to dry thoroughly before storing it, you’re in great shape! A good quality roller made with carefully chosen stones can last a long time.
Make It a Thing
It’s totally up to you--you can make your new facial roller just another extra step in your routine, or you can make it into a mindful experience.
Open the windows and let the light in while you roll for several minutes. Be quiet and check in with your body and your heart. Speak an affirmation or intention for the day. And let this little ancient stone tool usher you into a calmer, more peaceful morning. Facial rollers FTW!